I have to place myself in the camp of the prophets of doom and if I would have made a forecast for 2014 it probably would have been bearish. The financial math blog posted an interesting article with highlights of some of these (embarrassing calls). My favourite being the 99.9% risk of 2014 crash. I love precision.
Prophets of doom
2014 has also been a hard year for prophets of doom. Even a casual Internet search yields dozens of such predictions (NOTE that in most of these cases, the author of the blog or article is not the specific party making the prediction):
- [28 Dec 2013] Doomsday poll: still a 98% risk of 2014 stock crash
- [23 Jan 2014] How about a 50% crash?
- [11 Feb 2014] Scary 1929 market chart gains traction
- [19 Feb 2014] Crash of 2014: Like 1929, you’ll never hear it coming
- [15 Mar 2014] New doomsday poll: 99.9% risk of 2014 crash
- [27 Mar 2014] Is this the correction, or a coming crash?
- [09 May 2014] 10 peaking megabubbles signal impending stock crash
- [29 Jun 2014] New Doomsday poll: 98% risk of 2014 stock crash
- [23 Jul 2014] For stocks, Dow 20,000—then a crash?
- [05 Aug 2014] How you’ll know if it’s time for a market crash
- [11 Aug 2014] Here’s my obligatory column that says stocks will crash
- [21 Aug 2014] How to protect your retirement from the next big crash
- [10 Sep 2014] Opinion: Republican-run Senate could speed stock crash
- [24 Oct 2014] Opinion: 15 Big Oil sell signals that warn of a 50% stock crash
- [10 Nov 2014] 4 near-term catalysts for the next stock market crash
- [20 Nov 2014] The man who called the last stock crash is already blaming the Fed for the next